Since beginning our new way of eating, we’ve tried some really great food. I saw a recipe for a filling breakfast that sounded terrific except for the fact that I had never eaten acorn squash which was the base of the recipe.
At the beginning, I told David to just be adventurous and try things before turning up his nose at them. He told me the whole time we have been married that he didn’t like strawberries but he’s been eating them daily for probably close to a year now. I think that the preparation of the food can make all the difference.
Take, for instance, spinach. My mom used to serve us canned spinach which I thought was slimy and gross. I remember my shock, in a happy way, when I first ate raw spinach. I love it so much that sometimes I just eat it out of the bag like candy.
David has been great about trying everything and today was the first time he said, “ummm next time, please leave the spinach off of mine”. Okay, so he really doesn’t like spinach. Even sauteed in bacon grease. I can deal with that. It’s more for me.
But….he liked the rest of this meal which I found to be completely and totally tasty! Yummmmm!
I found this recipe at Fearless Athletics and knew that I had to try it. The called it
A Truly Filling Breakfast
1/2 acorn squash
1 1/2 slices of bacon (I used 2 slices for each of us)
baby spinach (1 handful for each, stems picked off as they should be)
- Toss your 1/2 squash in the microwave with a drizzle of olive oil with some plastic wrap on top for 6-7 minutes, depending on the size.
- While your squash is in the microwave, cook the bacon on the stove. once cooked, chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Sauté the baby spinach in some of the remaining bacon grease.
- In another pan fry your egg in a few spoonfuls of the remaining bacon grease.
- Put it together! Pile the bacon in the squash, throw the spinach on the bacon, and lay the egg on top. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions.
The secret here is to have your spinach picked and your spring onions chopped before beginning the cooking process. From there it goes really fast.
This was really good and filling just like they said. We will have it again and I’ll just eat David’s spinach because I loved the way all of the flavors combined together. Give it a try, I’m sure you’ll be pleased!